Thursday 17 January 2013

Just My Type – Pattern testing with a twist

Two of my favourite bloggy friends, Erin and Gina, have been asking me about doing a paper pieced alphabet. I told Gina this morning that I’d give it some thought and maybe have a go at a few letters today as I had a home day planned.

So it turns out that a few letters actually means 52 in Quiet Play language. I did both upper case and lower case. And boy do I have a cramp in my hand from all that mouse clicking!

But I am thrilled with how they turned out! I wanted a typewriter looking font. So here it is.

“Just My Type”

Just My Type Lowercase

Just My Type Uppercase
These patterns will be available in my Craftsy shop sometime soon, but first they need to be tested. But how to test them?!

Well! Erin to the rescue! She is the most awesome idea generator and sounding board. She suggested having pattern testers use the alphabets to make encouraging words (like love, joy, faith etc) which can be sent to me to be made into a charity quilt. Isn’t that a fab idea?!

So here’s what the deal is. I’m looking for pattern testers for my paper pieced alphabet. I have a list of words which include all the letters of the alphabet (thanks to the Wombat Stew gals for their help with these – otherwise we were going with Jane’s original idea – "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog”. )

Just My Type Comfort Quilt Wordle

How cool is this word cloud? I made it with this ridiculously fun website called Wordle.

So back to the pattern testing. There’s the twist. It’s a bit more than regular pattern testing. You will need to make the test blocks and commit to posting them to me (by the middle of February at the lastest) to be made into a charity quilt.

I’m looking for the blocks to be made with stark white backgrounds, and the letters of the word all in the same bright print/solid of your choosing. Each letter pattern makes a 5” block to give you an idea of the size. I’m thinking of making two quilts so need two testers per word if possible (one upper case, one lower case) – so that tests all my blocks and makes for some lovely donation quilts. Two birds, one stone, all that.

So interested? Drop me an email (kristyqp (at) gmail.com) or leave me a comment.
Let me know your top three favourite words you would like to make and if you would rather do upper case or lower case. First in, best dressed. Please only join in if you’re certain you can commit to getting the blocks done in time.

Let me know if you have any questions! Hope you love this idea as much as I do!
(And a big thank you to my Wombats and bloggy gals for being great sounding boards, helping with ideas, and for putting up with me in general!!)  

UPDATE: Thanks for the great response so far! I will be sending out patterns/words very soon! For those still interested in joining in, the words still to be claimed are:

Uppercase: Happiness, Relax, Faith, Patience, Beauty, Harmony, Quilt
Lowercase: Hug, Patience, Comfort, Beauty, Amaze




27 comments:

  1. I'd love to join in! My favourite words to piece would be .... 'quilt', 'peace' or 'dream', in lower case! What a brilliant idea Kristy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Can not believe you did them all today. J is going to need some serious computer time tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely idea! You think these letters are begginer friendly? If yes, count me in for the short words: JOY, HUG or LOVE no preference for the upper or lower case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'd be happy to help - I've done some paper piecing and would probably class myself as a confident beginner. I'd go for Hug, Peace and Snuggle, not bothered about case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will so be buying those when they're ready!! So brilliant!
    Of course I'd love to test but better not commit to anything as still waiting on this baby! I'm sure everyone will do a fab job though.
    That Erin is one seriously smart cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the alphabet you made!!! Am going to NY next week, for a week, and wouldn't be able to commit to testing...darn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to take part in this project and love paper piecing! Peace, kindness and patience would be my choice to make, but I'd do any for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!! I can't wait until they are ready to purchase! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I was closer so I could participate! I have a set of paper pieced letters but I'm liking the look of yours better. Where were you two months ago when I needed them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to pattern test for you! I could even do 2 words - Hug, Love, or Joy for short words and Snuggle, Dream, or Happiness for a long word. Either upper or lower case is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a total beginner at paper piecing but would be willing to give it a go for charity if you need testers?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to join in and do lowercase. Top 3: snuggle, love, and wish

    ReplyDelete
  13. I go away for a couple of days and look what I miss! If you are still in need of pattern testers let me know, there is apparently a lot of sport on TV this weekend so I will have peace to sew:)

    They look great by the way and the charity quilt is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love paper piecing and your charity quilt idea is fab to do with the test pieces. I would do any but am drawn to Relax, Amaze and Happiness -upper or lower case doesn't matter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I like the word kindness - but I'll do any of the words!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these Kristy! I am happy to test and send :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to participate, but can only commit to doing one word. As I live in Europe, sending them over to you, would take more time.. So I would have to finish the word early. Whenever you have a word left over, please let me know.
    I just started my own blog on quilting. I was so inspired by all of you fabulous quilters! ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    I have been having trouble signing this comment with that blog address, so that is why writing it out like that. You could also use the google account mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea for pattern testing! Good luck with your charity quilt project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Chicky - more than happy to help out, providing you think I am up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy to make relax for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to join in and I like all the words so put me down for one that hasn't been claimed :) pbstrand@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you have any words left, I'd love to make one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to do happiness if you still need a tester. I am on Australia but an happy to pay the extra postage to send you the block

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just realized that is uppercase, I would prefer lowercase so patience, hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :) Thanks for your interest! Would be happy to chat with you about the pattern testing but unfortunately can't find an email address for you. If you could drop me a line kristyqp @ gmail dot com, that'd be great!

      Delete
  25. I have been looking for a clean paper pieced alphabet like this EVERYWHERE! I want to do a specific piece with a quote while making it look more fine art than crafty (I know that sounds snobby but I don't mean it that way). This is perfect! Get those testers testing, I need to buy these patterns! Let me know if you need help still... Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!