Wednesday 16 January 2013

Here kitty kitty

 I love cats. Unfortunately I’m also really allergic to cats. So the closest I get to having a cat in my house is as a quilt. Wait, no. That doesn’t sound right. No cats are harmed in the making of my quilts, I assure you.  I just use them as inspiration for quilt blocks. Does that sound better?! Eh. Let’s just look at photos instead shall we?

Kitty Cat blocks
My newest paper pieced pattern. A nice simple pattern, with the fun tactile addition of little tails that hang off the block.

Kitty Cat Tail

I originally made this pattern as a crocheted one. It was my first and only crochet pattern. I made a few blankets using the pattern though.

Crocheted Cat Blanket

I rarely crochet these days. Too busy sewing and paper piecing! But I thought the idea of the pattern would still translate nicely to paper piecing!

Black Cat

It’s a 10” block – so I still need to make quite a few more to manage a whole quilt. I’m thinking it’ll be a nice one to snuggle on the lounge. I might get it done by winter. The thought of a quilt on the lounge when we have been having a heatwave of late… ughhh. 

And so you can see the kitty cat in different fabrics – here’s the block that one of my fabulous pattern testers, Jan made!

Jan's cat

Doesn’t it look cute in the textured print!

I’ve popped this pattern into my Craftsy store. It’s a nice one for someone fairly new to paper piecing though there are a couple of angles around the ears. The rest is pretty straight forward Smile

So that’s my newest WiP. I know. I still have Circle of Flowers to work on (I have made another block, that’s progress!) but all those HSTs are killing me.

Circle of Flowers

So I needed a bit of paper piecing to break up the monotony of all that trimming up. And really, these cats are a nice cute kind of break from HSTs.

Kitty Cat blocks

Linking up with WiP Wednesday. Keeping me accountable since 2011.
WipWed

37 comments:

  1. Kristy that is the cutest, I just want to bat at that tail like a .. like a .. err like a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tails on those kitties are the cutest things. Well done. You are very creative. By the way, I have a very fat, very hairy cat living in my house. Believe me, they are overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tail on your kitty is just adorable... I'll have to check that out

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And that's coming from a dog person. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute, Kristy! I really love that crocheted blanket too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute kitties! I used to be allergic to cats too (lost my allergy around age 24!)! Its always the way that you want the very thing you're allergic to. Still at least your kitties don't need to be let in in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cats, especially with the fun tail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've Pinned it for future use, hope that's ok

      Delete
    2. Oh yes - don't mind at all if you pin things from my blog :)

      Delete
  8. Eee that block is adorable!! I love the tail! :D I have been totally addicted to paper piecing lately, so I may have to go try out that block. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so neat! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute little cats! Haha, HSTs make me crazy too. It's the trimming I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute, thanks for sharing those little cats... I may make a doggy one to keep pressuring my husband to buy me a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute - love that tail :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cuter than my actual cat ... ssssh don't tell her I said that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so cute with he little tail! Love the circle of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those cats are so cute!! And the tail is just perfect!!
    I don't think I have the patience for that many HSTs, they always go wonky when I iron and trim them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pp kitty is too cute ~ especially like the one your tester Jan did ~ there's so much you could do with fabric prints and those sweet kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your kitties are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! Love the tails - clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your cats. They are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the little tails. How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fab cats - I love their tails! I also really like your circle of friends block :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your crochet kitty blanket is beautiful! And I just love your new pp pattern! Can't wait to try it, and try different colors for texture!
    Love those little tails!!


    susie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love those kitties!!! That tail is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are a genius...interactive paper piecing!!! i love your crocheted blanket too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am in love with these blocks! So stinking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I LOVE this cats. Unfortunately I cannot life with cats together at my apartment, because to often I'm away for work,

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG those cats are just way too cute. Loving your circle of flowers block :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love cats! I am in a block swap and I am asking for cat blocks! I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute Cats and I love the 3-D tails - Brilliant!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great new pattern Kristy! Well cone :) I didn't know you could crochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Kristy ~ Just wanted to say thanks for the adorable inspiration with this quilt block. I purchased your pattern and made a square to give as part of a friendship quilt exchange I'm participating in. My version is on my blog today if you'd like to have a look. I just love the design and that little tail hanging off? The cutest!!!
    http://paperturtle.blogspot.com/2014/04/beverlys-quilt-square.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!